In February 2006 Halcyon began an extensive refit at the specialist shipyard of T. Nielsen & Company Limited based in Gloucester docks in England.
During her drydocking a new Perkins 130 HP diesel was fitted together with a new generator and all new electrical, navigation, communication, entertainment and plumbing systems were installed. After a thorough inspection the hull has been re-sheathed in copper and her topsides repainted and new stanchion posts and shroud plates fitted.
A new interior layout has been installed in teak for the forward guest accommodation to complement the original saloon and main cabins. The crew's quarters have been fitted out in white painted tongue and groove.
Halcyon's masts and spars have been stripped down, revarnished and all the metal fittings regalvanised and repainted. The original hydraulic windlass has been regalvanised and restored. The standing rigging has been replaced in new galvanised wire and all the running rigging and wooden blocks have been replaced.
The sails have been refurbished as needed and a suit of cruising sails selected. Her original 12 foot sailing dinghy has been restored to her former glory and is carried on deck, launched by the original davits, together with a much more modern and practical RIB.
The aim throughout has been to use only the very best quality materials, and the craftsmanship exhibited by the multinational team of shipwrights at Nielsen's is wonderful. By the end of 2006 she was ready to emerge from her extensive restoration and once again grace the seas as she did in 1929 when she was first launched.