Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Halcyon?
Halcyon is the Greek name for a Kingfisher.
According to Pliny- "Halcyons are especially remarkable for this - the seas and those who sail them know the days when they breed. The bird itself is a little larger than a sparrow, sea-blue in colour and reddish on the underside, with white feathers in the neck, and a long slender beak... They breed at midwinter, on what are called "Halcyon days", during which the sea is calm and navigable, especially near Sicily. They make their nests a week before the shortest day, and lay a week after it."
What should I bring with me?
- Bring a supply of layers which include a fleece and sweaters for the cooler days and evenings. If you are particularly prone to the cold then bring some thermals. Its easier to remove layers than add them if you don't have them. Halcyon will provide oil skins should the need arise.
- Some sensible non-slip soft soled shoes (please avoid black soled shoes as these mark the deck).
- A hat.
- Sun tan cream.
- Swimsuit (if you own a wetsuit then you could bring that too).
- Your passport.
What corporate entertaining or team building options are there?
- Team building events which could include: speed and time trials, navigational exercises, tacking and gybing exercises, sail hoists and drops.
- Corporate reward packages.
- Bespoked packages to incorporate your own ideas.
- For more information on corporate and team building options see http://www.halcyonyachtcharter.co.uk/corporate_events.php section of our website.
What is included in the price?
- Our prices are all inclusive and are designed to cover all of the basic costs that could be expected to be associated with chartering a crewed yacht.
- The charter rate will include full use of the yacht and toys on board.
- Your food and a standard wine allowance is included in the charter rate for voyage charters, short and long breaks and for standard corporate days. The wine allowance is four bottles of wine per day for a full charter. Dinner consists of a three course gourmet meal. Any specific food requirements should be detailed in advance and a menu plan can be prepared specifically to meet your requirements.
- All towels and bed linen are provided.
- Full time professional crew.
- Fuel cost for the yacht and RIB and any berthing fees.
- The use of any wet weather gear should the need arise. We have a selection of sizes of Musto wet weather gear. Footwear is not included.
- Equipment Insurance, Public Liability Insurance.
What is not included in the price?
- Use of satellite phones and any internet connections.
- Transfers to and from the yacht.
- Crew gratuity. It is customary but entirely discretionary to leave a gratuity of 10% to 15% of the charter fee for services given.
- Vintage wines and champagne above the standard allowance.
- Aperitifs and after dinner liqueurs from the mini bar.
- Your Travel insurance. We recommend that you take out your own travel insurance from the date of booking. Make sure the insurance you choose covers sailing.
- Meals or accommodation ashore.
What information do I need to send in advance?
- Personal contact details.
- Personal details.
- Medical details.
- Next of Kin.
- Any food allergies.
- Dietary requirements.
- Health & fitness state.
- Any disabilities which may prevent you from participating in this holiday.
- Your travel and arrival details.
- Please note that all your details are strictly confidential.
How and when do I pay?
To secure your booking we will require a 25% deposit 8 or more weeks prior to the voyage start date. This can be paid by credit card or cheque and can be determined at the time of booking. We will then require the balance payment 8 weeks or less prior to the voyage start date.
What happens if I want to cancel my booking?
In the event of you having to cancel your voyage, Halcyon Yacht Charter will endeavour to re-charter the yacht for your voyage. If we are successful the cost of the new charter will be credited to you but we can not guarantee that this will cover your initial charter cost.
What happens if Halcyon cancels the voyage?
In the event that Halcyon Yacht Charter cancels your voyage, a full refund of your monies paid up to the date of cancellation will be refunded to you, unless the voyage has been cancelled for the following reasons:
- In the case of 'force majeure' i.e acts of terrorism, earthquake, pandemics and government decree terminating the voyage.
- Any other cause beyond the reasonable control of Halcyon Yacht Charter.
Where and when do I join the yacht?
Halcyon will be moving around the cruising grounds of the West of Britain, Pembrokeshire, the Isles of Scilly, Ireland, Scotland, the South Coast of England and Northern France.. You can find our schedule on the website. Our normal joining time will be around 4:00pm for afternoon tea and departure times will be around 10:00am after breakfast. Full joining instructions will be sent to you once you have booked.
Does it matter that I haven't sailed before?
Absolutely not. You can either sit back and relax on board or have a hands on experience assisting to sail the yacht under the guidance of the crew.
Will there be other guests on board?
If the yacht has not been chartered out solely to a party and there is space, you can join the charter as an individual or couple. Full details will be given to you when you enquire.
I don't know whether or not I get seasick.
Its always best to have some seasick pills with you just in case. A pharmacy can recommend the best ones to suit you.
I suffer from a medical condition, who should I inform about this?
We would like to know of any medical conditions that might affect you during the charter and therefore we would like you to complete a medical disclosure form with the booking form.